Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Research Room Policies
When using the Paul H McCarthy Research Room please observe the following policies for the preservation of our collections and comfort of other researchers:
- Sign in each day, and place coats and bags on provided coat hooks or in lockers.
- Follow any handling instructions provided by staff.
- Photo Identification is required to register.
- Use pencils only.
- Wear gloves when handling photographs, negatives, rare books, and maps.
- One box on the table at a time, one folder (or document) out at a time.
- Keep everything in order in the folders, and the folders in order in the boxes. Out cards are available to assist in this process.
- Flatbed scanners are not permitted.
- Wand-type scanners are permitted.
- Photography without a flash is permitted for personal research use only.
- Publication of photographs requires separate release forms.
- The Alaska Polar Regions Collections and Archives owns rights to some, but not all of its materials. The researcher is solely responsible for the use made of any material secured from the Archives and any infringement of copyright law of the United States (Title 17, US Code).
- These policies may change without notice.
- The staff has the right to ask any patron to leave for any reason.
- Ask if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to help!