We provide digital files and DVDs of archival moving images for research and use in productions, presentations and exhibits.
For University of Alaska students, most footage and services are free.
To order archival moving images
- Contact the film archivist at email@example.com to discuss availability of the footage you would like to request.
- Email the Archival Moving Images Order Form, and if needed the Statement of Use Form for Images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Before using footage in a production, presentation, or exhibit, the Statement of Use Form for Images must be submitted. This applies even for footage that is supplied free-of-charge.
- You will receive an email with further instructions for receiving your requested files or DVDs, and for making any payment via credit card or check.
- Footage is typically delivered as an MP4 file (MOV files available upon request).
- When possible, footage will be provided in high resolution. Currently, most footage is available only in standard definition.
- Files are shared via WeTransfer.
- Archival moving images may take 7 to 10 business days to prepare and send.
General archival moving images
- $20/DVD for footage provided on DVD.
- $25/second for clean (non-logo) footage supplied for commercial production.
- $10/second for clean (non-logo) footage supplied for non-profit production.
- No charge for footage supplied as a digital file with an embedded Alaska Film Archives logo (typically located in the lower right hand corner). Logo footage is subject to availability; services fees may apply for large or complex orders.
When footage is used in a production, presentation, or exhibit, fees are based on the number of seconds used in the patron’s finished product. After this number of seconds is determined, the patron informs APRCA staff, who will then issue an invoice. Payment may be made by credit card (preferred) or check.
Bradford Washburn films
- Providing of footage from Bradford Washburn films is $10 per second in addition to the baseline fees indicated above for general archival moving images.
- No additional fees are charged for supplying footage from this collection for use by University of Alaska students and instructors for class projects and instruction.
- Any fee waivers are entirely at the discretion of and must be approved in writing by the head of the Alaska and Polar Regions Collections & Archives Department.
- All proceeds from this additional fee support the Bradford & Barbara Washburn Research Fund at UAF.
Related services are available per arrangement, and as scheduling allows. Services include research to locate desired footage within collections, specialized evaluation of requested materials, and specialized digitizing of requested items. Contact the film archivist for more information.
- 1st 30 minutes: free
- Additional services: $75.00/hour