Through three decades of collecting, the University of Alaska Fairbanks has built the largest collection of archival films in and about Alaska, with particular strength for the pre-statehood era. The current collection of films and videos combines hundreds of individual donations to UAF with films collected earlier by the Alaska State Library. Since 1993 these materials have been maintained in the Alaska Film Archives, a unit of the Alaska and Polar Regions Department in Elmer E. Rasmuson Library. Our goals are to:
- Locate and collect film and videotape pertaining to Alaska through donation.
- Document the region, date and activities of each film.
- Catalog each film or tape and make them available for viewing.
- Store original materials in controlled environmental conditions.
Contact: Angela Schmidt, Interim Film Archivist, at (907) 474-5357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Some of our projects include creating finding aids for:
- Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA)
- Alaska Natives on Film Identification Project
Check out our Alaska Film Archives' YouTube Channel