Library and Information Strategies
LS101 is part of the UAF Core Curriculum requirements needed for graduation. To fulfill this core requirement you may choose either one of the following two options:
- Complete the one-credit course by registering for a classroom section on Fairbanks main campus OR a Web-based section, OR a correspondence section offered via the Center for Distance Education.
- Pass the LS 101 Competency Exam, administered by UAF's Testing Services. You may take the test twice if necessary. The test is offered by individual appointment. Contact Testing Services, located in Room 211 Gruening Building or at (907) 474-5277 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. You may take the exam even if you are registered for the LS 101 course.
Course Catalog Description
"Introduction to effective library research methods and principles of information organization and retrieval. Class work emphasizes applied experience with finding and evaluating information, especially through use of library catalogs, journal indexes, and Internet resources."
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
The student outcome goals and objectives of the Library Science program are:
- Students will be able to formulate and articulate a research statement and devise appropriate search strategies.
- Students will be capable of carrying out a search strategy using appropriate tools to obtain resources.
- Students will be capable of evaluating the appropriateness of their resources and apply evaluative criteria to determine validity and veracity of information.
- Students’ confidence in their ability to use library resources and research strategies will increase.