Please check this page often as our services may change.
- Rasmuson Library is open for UAF students, faculty, and staff with access by PolarExpress card. Check our hours page for when we are open.
- The 23-hour study has re-opened. Hours are 6:30am-10:00pm.
Request to Pick Up Library Material (UA Patrons)
Alaskan public library patrons can now place holds on our materials through the FNSB Public Libraries catalog. They should pick items up either at Noel Wien Library or at North Pole Branch.
UAF patrons may enter the library by card-swipe. If you are a University of Alaska patron and need to check out books or DVDs, but are reluctant to enter the library, complete this form. Please give us 24 hours' notice so we can gather the items for you.
Appointment times are:
- Monday - Friday, 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday - Sunday, 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Returning Books or DVDs
Books and/or DVDs can be put in the book drops outside of the library.
Request Article & Book Chapters
Need an article or book chapter? We can scan and deliver materials held in UAF campus libraries with our Document Delivery service or get it from another library through Interlibrary Loan. Request it as a PDF via ILLiad.
While reserve materials are typically meant for several people to use them in short succession, we currently allow no more than one checkout per day. After being returned, materials must sit overnight before being checked out to another person.
The Alaska and Polar Regions Collections & Archives (APRCA) department is providing limited services. This is subject to change without notice. Responses to calls and emails will likely take longer than usual.
The APRCA Reading Room is open by appointment to UAF affiliated staff, students and faculty. Please schedule an appointment. Appointment times may be scheduled Monday-Friday, 10:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm, (excluding holidays). Will will contact you to confirm your appointment time.
For assistance from our Archives units, contact the curators directly:
- Books, Periodicals, Rare Books and Rare Maps - Katherine Arndt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Oral History & Project Jukebox - Leslie McCartney (email@example.com)
- Alaska Film Archives - Angela Schmidt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alaska Native Language Archive (ANLA) - Anna Berge (email@example.com)
- University Archives, Historical Manuscripts, Historical Photographs - Rachel Cohen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Due Dates for Checked Out Items
If you have questions email us at email@example.com
Online help is available. We are here to support your research and instruction needs.
- email: AskRasmusonLibrary@uaf.libanswers.com
- text: 907-341-4404
- chat (when available): look for the Ask Us button
Accessing Resources While Off-Campus
UAF students, faculty, and staff may access electronic resources while off campus.
When accessing library databases (e.g., Academic Search Premier, JSTOR, Scopus, etc.) from an off campus location you will be prompted to log in using your UA username and password. This is the same username/password you use to log into Blackboard and UA Gmail If you've forgotten your username or password, try going to ELMO or call the OIT Help Desk 907-450-8300 (Outside Fairbanks - 1-800-478-8226).
We try to give you your PIN when you create your library account. However, sometimes this doesn't happen. If you need a PIN, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your phone number so we can call you.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- What do I do if I have an item from ILL checked out and it is overdue or I cannot place a renewal request via my ILLiad account?
Please contact the ILL Office to request a renewal.
Under COVID19, almost all libraries are willing to grant additional time if asked. There are no fines or fees for Interlibrary Loan materials.
- What do I do if I have an ILL item or library material checked out, but I am no longer in Fairbanks?
Please contact us and we will send you a prepaid return label that you can use to send materials back to us. Alternately, we will request longer due dates for your items so you can keep them until you can return.
- Can I still use ILLiad to request materials from other libraries?
Yes! You can log in to your ILLiad account with your UA username and password here: https://uaf.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/logon.html
Once you’ve logged in, you can request physical items or chapters/articles. Many libraries are closed or are otherwise unable to lend their physical materials, so it may take longer than normal to fill your request, but we should be able to get any articles or chapters to you electronically.
- What if I want to request a physical item but I am no longer in Fairbanks or am in isolation or quarantine?
We can mail items to you directly! Please contact our office and we can set up your account so that you’ll get these items in the mail.
- Can I use ILLiad to request material from the Rasmuson & Mather Libraries?
Yes! If you request something that we own, we will pull it and place it on hold or mail it to you. You can also request chapters or articles and we will scan the material and send it to you as a PDF.