Historical Manuscript Collections
Historical manuscripts are original documents including diaries, business records, personal papers, scrapbooks, and newspaper clippings. These cover both the Russian-American (before 1867) and United States periods of Alaska history, with most materials from the 1880s to the present. Major topics include: politics, religions, aviation, mining, engineering, science, biography, mountaineering, and glaciology. Collections can be accessed through StarArchives, Alaska’s Digital Archives, the Library Catalog, and in our Research Room. See the Policies and Forms page and the Frequently Asked Questions page before you visit.
Historical Photograph Collections
Historical photographs include over 1,000,000 images dating from the 1870s to the present, documenting Alaska, the Yukon Territory, and Eastern Siberia. Of particular interest may be the Alaskan gold rushes (1880-1909), World War II in Alaska (1940-1945), the transition to statehood (1956-1967), and the Pipeline boom (1974 -1977). Collections can be accessed through StarArchives, Alaska’s Digital Archives, the Library Catalog, and in our Research Room. Special collections of photographs can also be viewed on the Bradford Washburn Photograph Collection page, the Alaska History Store, and the Historical Photograph Gallery. See the Policies and Forms page and the Frequently Asked Questions page before you visit.
Ordering and Using our Photographs & Archival Material
NOTE: This information only applies to photographs owned by the Archives at the University of Alaska Fairbanks [Alaska and Polar Regions Collections, Elmer E. Rasmuson Library]. In Alaska's Digital Archives, these materials are identified with the letters UAF on the identification line.
The Archives reserves the right to charge reasonable fees for the reproduction and use of Archives materials as well as for projects requiring staff activity beyond the normal scope of duties. Payment is required at the time the service is rendered (we accept Visa or MasterCard).
For photo reproductions:
- Mail the Statement of Intended Use Agreement form (PDF | DOC) with payment, or, if you already have made payment arrangements fax the form to 907-474-6365;
- Submit a photo reproduction request. This request may be of a list of photo accession numbers, with collection name and photo title OR use the Photograph Reproduction Request form (PDF | DOC);
- There are separate fees for commercial uses, see Fees for Public Use of Images(PDF | DOC);
- See our Reproduction Guidelines and Fee Schedule for details about fees. Additional information can be found on the Digital Photographic Services website.
- Note that Bradford Washburn photos have a separate fee schedule. See more about Brad Washburn photos at the collection site or contact APR staff for more information.