There are so many important anniversaries in Alaska this year that we had to reach into our collections to share some of what we have with you! So we’ve put together special displays on Level 2 in Rasmuson Library. They are packed with items from our historical collections – maps, photographs, ephemera, and much more! We are celebrating several important historical events:
- UAF’s centennial
- The 150 anniversary of Russia’s sale of Alaska to the United States
- The 100th birthday of Denali National Park
- The 75th anniversary of the Alaska Highway
- The 75th anniversary of the Alaska-Siberia Route
- The 50th anniversary of the Fairbanks flood
You can see (and borrow!) some of the university’s first library books. Inside the Paul H. McCarthy Research Room, two displays feature student handbooks from 1964 and 1984, and a selection of early University of Alaska catalogs.