William C. Douglass Photographs feature slides of Kennecott Mines – Bonanza, Jumbo, Mother Lode, and Erie. This collection belonged to William C. Douglass, who worked as the Kennecott Mine foreman and superintendent from 1916 to 1929. The richest copper mine in the world that was named as a result of a spelling error operated near the Kennicott Glacier from 1909 to 1938. The Guggenheims and J.P. Morgan (the Alaska Syndicate) that purchased Kennecott, invested $22 million for construction of Copper River and Northwestern Railway alone. Regardless the expenditure, the copper empire did so well that when it went public in 1915, its stock rose from a few dollars to seventy-five dollars a share.