This collection includes six photographs of the Black Wolf Squadron including images of the early aircraft (biplanes) and the pilots: Capt. St. Clair Streett, 1st Lt. Clifford C. Nutt, 2d Lt. Eric C. Nelson, 2d Lt. C.H. Crumrine, and 2d Lt. Ross C. Kirkpatrick. Also depicted are Generals Pershing, Charles T. Menohar, and Peyton C. March as well as Sergeants Albert Vierra, Joseph English, and Edmund Henriques. Locations shown include Nome, Alaska; Jasper, California; and Bolling Field in Washington, D.C.
The Black Wolf Squadron was one of the earliest units within the U.S. Army Air Service. In 1920, the Squadron was selected to make the first long-distance flight outside of the contiguous United States. Nome, Alaska, was selected as the destination because the assistant chief of the Air Service was General Billy Mitchell, who had served in Alaska during construction of the Washington-Alaska Military Cable and Telegraph System (WAMCATS).
The four DeHavilland DH-4 biplanes, painted with the black profile of a wolf’s head against a white background, left Mitchel Field, Long Island, New York on July 15, 1920. The Squadron arrived in Nome on August 24, 1920, landing on the parade grounds at Fort Davis, an abandoned Army post. After a brief stay, the crew, led by Capt. St. Clair Street, returned via the same route, arriving at Mitchel Field on October 20, 1920. In total, the expedition flew 9,000 miles in 112 flying hours without serious incident.
The trip was the first military flight in Alaska and helped to pioneer an air route connecting Alaska to the Lower 48.
They learned their flying in the Army aviation schools. UAF-1990-164-1.
Black Wolf Squadron Photographs