The Chatanika Power Company Photographs consist of 45 color slides showing the company’s power plant site, the plant under construction, and the plant after completion. The plant, located 31 miles northeast of Fairbanks, Alaska, operated from 1959 to 1967.
The Chatanika Power Company, president Arnold Hanson, constructed a power plant 31 miles northeast of Fairbanks, Alaska, in 1959. Driven by water from the Davidson Ditch, it was at the time the only hydroelectric plant in Interior Alaska. It supplied power through Golden Valley Electric Association for two months in its initial year of operation, five months per year in the period 1960-1966, and three months in 1967. Following extensive damage to its penstock in the Fairbanks flood of August 1967, the plant was never put back into service.